The Protection Order Advocacy and Representation Project represents victims of domestic violence at protection order hearings in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Carroll County Circuit Courts. The Project's attorneys represent people who have been abused by an intimate partner (current or past boyfriend/girlfriend, current or ex spouse) in proceedings to obtain protection orders, enforce protection orders through contempt, and modify existing protection orders.
POARP services are free and can include:
- Assistance with the completion of a Petition for Protection from Domestic Violence;
- Representation at Final Protection Order hearings;
- Assistance with and representation in contempt proceedings to enforce Final Protection Orders;
- Assistance with and representation in modification proceedings to change the terms of a Final Protection Order;
- Assistance with and representation in appeals from Final Protection Order hearings that were held in District Court;
- Assistance with referrals to other resources;
- Safety planning;
- Accompaniment to the Police Commissioner's office to file criminal charges; and
- Accompaniment in criminal proceedings and assistance through the criminal process.