General Enrollment & Registration Articles

  • This article describes the process for enrolling a child in school and what to do if the child is rejected.
  • This article is a general description of a school's duties and the student's rights when a student is homeless.
  • Private schools operating in Maryland are subject to the authority of the State Department of Education, but they are not bound by all of the laws and regulations that public schools are.
  • What to do, what to give the student's new school and what to do if the transfer is denied.
  • "Informal kinship care" means a living arrangement in which a relative of a child, who is not in the care, custody, or guardianship of the local department of social services, provides for the care and custody of the child due to a serious family hardship.
Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – © Maryland State Law Library, 2017.”

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.