General Name Change Articles

  • A select summary of case law from Maryland courts.
  • To change the name of a child or minor a petition for name change needs to be filed in Maryland circuit court in the county where the child is a resident.
  • A person can change his or her name for any reason. The only condition for a name change is that the name change must not be for any illegal or fraudulent purpose and the new name must not interfere with the rights of others.
  • As part of a divorce, a party can ask the court for an order to resume using his or her prior name.
  • Any person may file an objection to a petition to change the name of another person.
Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – © Maryland State Law Library, 2017.”

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.