Emergency Assistance To Families With Children (EAFC)

Emergency Assistance may cover the emergency need to handle eviction notices, mortgage foreclosures, gas and electric turn-off notices and delinquent water bills.

The Emergency Assistance for Families With Children (EAFC) program is locally administered by the Department of Human Resources (DHR) Family Investment Administration through your local Department of Social Services. Local programs and available funding vary. 

Details are on the Department of Human resources' web site.

  • EAFC staff reviews each family situation to determine who needs emergency help.
  • Families must have one or more children under 21 and living with them.
  • Families must present proof that they are behind on rent and have been/will be evicted.
  • Families must present notice from utility companies that services have been/will be cut off.





Income Eligibility:

The family must agree to use their available income, contributions and other resources like bank accounts to help resolve the emergency. Families who lack funds to meet a crisis can apply for benefits.

Apply at:

For more information and to apply, call 1-800-332-6347 or call your local Department of Social Services


You can appeal any denial, termination, or reduction of benefits.  Appeal must be filed in writing at the DSS office.  It is best to file it in person and to get a receipt showing that you filed the appeal.  Appeals must be filed within 90 days of the action, or you cannot get an appeal.

Here is a digital version of the Application for Appeals (Request for Hearing).

Sources of Law:

State Regulations: COMAR to This link goes to the table of contents for the regulations of the Family Investment Administration.  Click the title to  "07.03.08 Emergency Assistance to Families with Children (EAFC)" to see a list of the regulations governing EAFC.  Clicking on the number of each regulation opens that regulation.  To read another regulation in the series, use your browser's back button to return to the list and select another regulation.

State Law: This program is under the authority of the Maryland Department of Human Resources, Article 88A and is part of the "Family Investment Program."

Federal Regulations: The governing regulations are in 45 CFR (Public Welfare), Subtitle B, Chapter II (Office of Family Assistance)


There may be other emergency financial assistance available in your county either through DSS or private social service agencies that are funded in other ways, including private contributions.  Ask your local Department of Social Services.

Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – www.peoples-law.org. © Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, 2019.”