Tax Time for Nonprofits: Are Your Annual Filings in Order?
Training & Brief Legal Advice Clinic for Small Nonprofits
Date: Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Time: Choose from one of three different 30-minute workshop offerings (2pm, 4pm, and 6pm)
Where: Community Law Center's office (3355 Keswick Road, Suite 200, Baltimore, 21211)
Join Community Law Center for a short training on the ins and outs of annual filings for small Maryland nonprofit organizations. An attorney will provide information about which annual filings are required for which types of small nonprofits, and offer an overview of the following documents:
- Personal Property Return (Maryland Form 1);
- 990-N (IRS e-postcard);
- Charitable Solicitations Registration or Exempt Organization Fund-Raising Notice Form (and Annual Update); and
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate Application.
At the conclusion of the training, if you have all of the necessary information, you may stay to complete your forms and our attorneys will be available to meet with nonprofits one-on-one as needed to discuss these forms.
If you wish to complete your forms on the day of the event, you must bring ALL of the requested documentation (see list below). Brief legal consultations will be limited to the forms addressed in the training. Nonprofits with additional legal questions will be asked to submit a completed Application for Legal Services to request legal representation through our Pro Bono Program (http://communitylaw.org/apply-for-services/).
What to bring:
- List of your nonprofit's current directors and officers (including phone number, mailing address, and email address);
- Dates of the start and end of your fiscal year;
- Maryland Department ID number;
- EIN (Employer Identification Number);
- Copy of the nonprofit's Articles of Incorporation and any amendments thereto;
- Copy of the organization's bylaws;
- IRS Determination Letter (if 501(c)(3));
- Nonprofit's bank name and account number;
- Amount of total revenue for the prior fiscal year;
- Amount of contributions received in the prior fiscal year; and
- Amount of contributions received to date in the current fiscal year.
How to Register
Due to space limitations, attendance will be limited at each training session. To reserve a seat, please submit your $5 via Paypal AND provide the following information: Your name, name of the organization you represent as stated on your Articles of Incorporation, nonprofit's EIN, your title/position with the nonprofit.
If you are unable to complete this information online, please call Kelly Pfeifer at 410.366.0922 x114. For those registered in advance of the event, Community Law Center staff will check the nonprofit's status with the State and IRS ahead of the training.
Walk-ins will be accepted on the day of the event if space is available. The $5 registration fee will still apply to those who do not pre-register.
Questions? Contact Kelly Pfeifer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410.366.0922 x114.