Finding an Attorney Who Is a Member of a "Bar Association"
The legal profession is organized into groups called “bar associations”. These are voluntary membership groups that provide services to attorneys as well as set and enforce standards of attorney conduct. A bar association can help you find a member attorney. (Remember that not all attorneys licensed to practice in the state belong to a bar association. Also some attorneys belong to several bar associations.)
Find a Member of the Maryland State Bar Association
The Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), a professional membership association of attorneys in Maryland, offers a searchable Directory of MSBA members. Important things to know about this Directory:
- Does not list all licensed attorneys in the state (only MSBA members);
- Does not list all MSBA members (only those who wish to be listed);
- Does not mean that the listed attorneys are endorsed by the MSBA.
You can search the Directory by county, last name, law firm, and legal practice area. Finding Lawyer Referral Services are designed to assist you in finding the appropriate help for your legal problem.
Find a Member of a County or Specialty Bar Association
Attorneys who are members of the bar associations ask to be listed on panels to which referrals are made. The bar associations do not review the work of the attorneys but can find you the name of attorneys interested in your type of case. When you contact a lawyer referral service, be prepared to briefly describe your situation to help the person on the other end of the phone line determine the kind of assistance you need. They will also help you decide what type of case you have. You will then be referred to an attorney in that field of practice. The lawyer referral services administered by the county bar associations usually offer a half-hour initial telephone or in-person consultation with the lawyer for a modest fee, approximately $25-40. Any additional time needed for your case is then negotiated between you and the attorney.
In addition, there are other bar associations organized by special interest areas rather than by geographic area. Some the these “specialty” bar associations in Maryland offer limited lawyer referral services or publish their membership list.
For more information, please refer to the below links:
· See the People's Law Library's list of Referral Services.
· See the MSBA's list of Referral Services.
Finding an Attorney by Using a Legal Publisher's Directory
- Martindale : Attorney listing from Martindale/Hubbell, owned by Lexis/Nexis
- Findlaw: Attorney Listing from Commercial Legal Publisher, Thomson
- Client Protection Fund of the Bar of Maryland Attorney Listing: This index includes all attorneys admitted to practice in the State of Maryland
Finding an Attorney by Specialized Area of the Law
- National Association of Consumer Advocates: The National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) is a nationwide membership organization of attorneys who represent consumers against businesses.
- AARP Legal Services Network: AARP has a program for members in need of legal assistance.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) : This is an organization of lawyers who practice "Elder Law."
- American Immigration Lawyers Association: The AILA is a bar association with over 7,500 attorneys and law professors who practice and teach immigration law. This web site refers visitors to member attorneys of the association.
- Immigration Lawyers on the Web is a website by an immigration law publisher. Among their products and services, they offer a "yellow pages" for the immigration field with attorney listings.
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives: An association of over 3,300 attorneys and non-attorney advocate experts who represent Social Security and Supplemental Security Income claimants
- EX-POSE: Provides information for spouses regarding separation and divorce from active duty or retired military service members. EX-POSE also refers members to attorneys who are familiar with military separation/divorce