Volunteer attorneys will counsel tenants summoned to court that day on topics including court procedures, available defenses, the eviction timeline, rent escrow, and rent abatement.
- After brief one-on-one consultations, volunteer attorneys will appear with tenants at their hearings.
- As appropriate, volunteer attorneys may assist tenants in negotiations with their landlords or their representatives.
- They may also provide follow up advice regarding rent escrow and requesting a housing inspection.
- Volunteer attorneys will only provide limited scope, day-of-court services.
- Volunteer attorneys will not provide continuing legal representation.
This project will operate on the morning dockets Tuesday through Friday until February 28, 2019.