How can I contact the judge in my case?

The General Rule

If you are involved in a court case, you are generally not allowed to privately contact the judge about the case.  This rule ensures that the court’s process remains fair to all who are involved.  (Maryland law and court practice may create certain rare exceptions to this rule, for example in emergencies or to protect a party from physical harm.)  Read the Law:  Maryland Rule 1-351

Using a Motion to ask the Court to take action

However, there is a way for a plaintiff or a defendant to ask the judge to take a specific action in the case.  This process is called “filing a motion.”  A motion is a request asking the court to give an order that the court or another party must do something.  If you have an attorney, your attorney will file the motion.

For instructions on filing a motion in a Maryland Circuit Court, see Filing a Motion in a Maryland Circuit Court.

What does "ex parte" mean?

"Ex parte" means one-sided.  Talking privately with the judge about your case, without giving notice to the other party, is called "ex parte communication" and is generally not allowed.

Dave Pantzer, Maryland State Law Library, edited by PLL Staff
Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – © Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, 2020.”