FreeState Justice provides legal services to low-income lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer Maryland residents. These services may be provided by FreeState Justice staff or by a member of our pro bono attorney network.
FreeState Justice is currently accepting clients for the following types of cases:
- Name changes
- Court orders of legal gender identity
- Expungement of criminal records
In addition, FreeState Justice will provide brief legal advice or guidance regarding the following situations:
- Administrative gender changes, including:
- Updating your Maryland birth certificate
- Changing your gender with the Social Security Administration
- Changing the gender on your passport
At this time, regular intake of new cases regarding all other matters is closed.