If your Maryland Driver's license was lost or stolen, you may obtain a duplicate license online or at a Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Kiosk. It is important to replace your license if you plan on driving. Driving without a driver's license is a crime, which carries a fine.
To apply online or at a MVA Kiosk, you will need your Driver’s License number, Date of Birth, and the last four digits of your Social Security number or your MVA PIN number. The cost for a duplicate license is $20. You should receive your license in the mail to your address on file within 4-6 business days. The Post Office will not forward MVA mail.
Certain restrictions may prevent you from using the online application. You will have to go to a MVA Branch if you have any of these apply to you:
- You are less than 21 years old;
- You have any suspensions, cancellations or revocations;
- You have a limited term license (this is indicated by a restriction T);
- You are applying for your 3rd duplicate license (or more);
- You have a tax compliance flag;
- The Social Security number on file cannot be verified (For example: You have a name change that has not been reported to the Social Security Administration); or
- You have a suspension in another State
When you go to the MVA, you will have to bring the same proofs of identity that you presented to obtain the original license. The MVA website has a complete list of identifying documents or see COMAR 11.17.09.04. You must present documents to prove the following:
- You age and identity;
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of ineligibility for an SSN;
- Your lawful status in the United States; and
- Your Maryland residency
The MVA employee will verify your documentation, collect the $20 fee, and issue your duplicate license.
Hint: Visit the MVA in the middle of the week and in the middle of the month. They are much less busy at those times.