MVA Driving Record Expungement
Topics on this page
The Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will automatically expunge eligible driving records. Previously, you had to request a driving record expungement, and expungements were not automatic. A driving record expungement means that specific entries from your driving record (including associated points), will be removed.
Automatic expungement only applies to your driving record. If you have a related court record, you can learn about expunging your criminal record here.
You may be eligible to have your MVA records automatically expunged. Automatic expungement means that drivers no longer have to apply for the expungement. There is no fee for this automatic expungement.
This chart lists the eligibility requirements:
If your license has:
Expunged after 31 days
Expunged after 3 years
Expunged after 5 years
Expunged after 10 years
*Suspensions for the following reasons are not driver related suspensions:
- Suspension of a minor’s license upon the death of the co-signer
- Failure to pay Child Support
- Outstanding arrest warrant
- Non-payment of a judgment
- Dispensing motor fuel into a dirt bike in Baltimore City
- Failure to appear on, failure to comply with, or failure to pay a citation
- Possession of alcohol by a minor
- Failure to pay for motor fuel
- Improper use of a driver’s license or ID card by a minor to obtain alcohol
- Rejection by Maryland Auto Insurance (formerly MAIF) / inability to obtain vehicle insurance
Certain records entries are not eligible for expungement. The entire record is not eligible for expungement if the record entry is related to a fatal accident, related to alcohol, or is required for assessment for subsequent offender penalties. Examples are below.
- If you are involved in a fatal accident and received a “failure to stop at a stop sign” citation, then that failure to stop citation cannot be expunged.
- If you are convicted of driving while intoxicated and received a speeding citation, then the speeding citation cannot be expunged.
Read the Law: Md. Code, Transportation § 16-117.1,
Additionally, an individual is not eligible for expungement if any of the following apply:
- Active or pending suspension
- Active or pending revocation
- Active or pending cancellation
- Active or pending refusal
- Pending MVA administrative action
- Restriction for the Ignition Interlock Program
Read the Regulation: Code of Md. Regulations, 11.11.16.03
If your driving record contains a record that is eligible for expungement, and it has not been expunged, contact the MVA at:
Administrative Adjudication Division
6601 Ritchie Highway NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
Email Inquiries: MVAAADDRATSDOCS@MDOT.STATE.MD.US
MVA Customer Service Call Center: 1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired: 1-301-729-4563