Veterans Pension Benefits

A full list of benefit rates for veterans can be found at the VA Pension Rate Table

Many figures used to calculate Veterans Pension benefits are revised annually by the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), the federal agency that administers the program. These figures are usually updated in October and can be found in the November issue of the Federal Register, the official government publication for administrative changes. These figure can also be found on the VBA website or by calling 1-800-827-1000 or TDD 1-800-829-4833 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. local time.


Generally, you must have 90 days or more of service of which at least 1 day must have occurred during a period of war, and you must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

You must be 65 or older, or have a non-service related disability that VA evaluates as permanent and total. For VA pension purposes, permanent and total means it is not likely that you will be able to maintain a substantially gainful job. Unemployability and age are factors considered in VA's eligibility decision.

For more information see the Department of Veteran's Affairs webpage on Veterans Pension Benefits.

Income Eligibility:

Veterans pension benefits are need-based.  In order to be eligible for a pension benefits, a veteran’s yearly income must be below a certain, pre-specified amount listed on the VA Pension Rate Table.  Pension benefit amounts will be reduced by the veteran’s other income.

Apply at:

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension. If available, attach copies of dependency records (marriage and children's birth certificates) and current medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports). You can also apply on the internet at the Department of Veteran Affairs Online Application Website (VONAPP)


A description of the appeals process for Veteran's Administration

Source of Funds:

 Federal tax revenues

Sources of Law:

Federal Law:  Pension for non-service connected disability

Federal regulations: 38 CFR Part 3, especially section 3.4

Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – © Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, 2019.”