Topics on this page
- What is the Women, Infants and Children Program?
- Income Eligibility
- Asset Eligibility
- Sources of Law
WIC's mission statement is "To assist eligible women, infants and children to achieve improved nutrition and health status by providing nutrition education, selected supplemental foods, and health referrals in a caring, supportive environment."
Examples of food you can buy with WIC benefits include fruits and vegetables, dairy products, food for infants, formula, and much more.
Maryland residents can receive WIC benefits who are:
- Pregnant women
- New mothers
- Infants or children under 5 years of age
- Have a job or be unemployed
- Own a home or live with friends or relatives
- Be married or single
- Be a father, mother, guardian, or grandparent and apply for benefits for an infant or child under the age of 5
Income guidelines are calculated using gross (before tax) income. Check the WIC website for current guidelines.
For example, a family of 2 qualifies for benefits if you have a monthly income of less than $2,607.
Asset amounts do not apply to this benefit program.
You must apply in person and bring some documents with you. To make an appointment, see the WIC website for the agency nearest you.
You can appeal any denial of WIC benefits, request to repay WIC benefits already received, or disqualification from the program. Appeals can be made orally or in writing to any agency staff member. It is best to file a written appeal and get a receipt showing that you filed an appeal. See COMAR 10.01.06 (scroll down the list to that number and click it to see the full list of these regulations).
Appeals must be filed within 60 days of the notice or the action was taken.
- Federal Law: 42 United States Code §1786
- Federal Regulations: 7 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 246
- Federal Policy Materials: The U.S. Department of Agriculture has an extensive array of web pages and links concerning WIC, its application process and other information
- State Regulations: COMAR 10.54.01.01 - .10.54.03.9999