Immigration & Employment

The two government agencies that are most involved in immigration are the US Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS),  which is part of the U.S. Department of Justice, and the U.S. Department of State.

For information about the USCIS Field Office, visit its website.  USCIS also has National Customer Service Center you can reach by a toll free number, 1-800-375-5283, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

USCIS has an excellent website, accessible in 22 languages, that explains the U.S. immigration law, the procedures, and the paper work involved.  The USCIS website should be the place you start for basic, accurate information. 

Federal Categories

See the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs.  It includes employment related questions and hundreds of other questions and answers. Forms and instructions for getting a Visa are on the State Department's Visa Services page.  There are particular procedures for getting a Visa for employment that depends on the type of employment.

There are five categories of employment based immigration.

  • First Preference (EB-1 priority workers): aliens with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers.
  • Second Preference (EB-2 workers with advanced degrees or exceptional ability): aliens who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent and aliens who because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business will substantially benefit the national economy, cultural, or educational interests or welfare of the United States.
  • Third Preference (EB-3 professionals, skilled workers, and other workers): aliens with at least two years of experience as skilled workers, professionals with a baccalaureate degree, and others with less than two years experience, such as an unskilled worker who can perform labor for which qualified workers are not available in the United States.
  • Fourth Preference (EB-4 special workers such as those in a religious occupation or vocation): aliens who, for at least two years before applying for admission to the United States, have been a member of a religious denomination that has a non-profit religious organization in the United States, and who will be working in a religious vocation or occupation at the request of the religious organization.
  • Fifth Preference (EB-5 Employment Creation) If you would like to be granted immigrant status in the United States for the purpose of engaging in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers..

For more specifics about the criteria, see the State Department's Tips for U.S. Visas: Employment-Based Visas.

 The Social Security Administration has a Fact Sheet you can read online or print about what Asylees and Refugees must do in order to be able to work in the United States.

Farm Workers

The Farm Labor Contractor's Law requires all farm labor contractors who work in Maryland to be licensed by the Commissioner of Labor and Industry. The law also imposes duties on a farm labor contractor regarding the employment, housing and transportation of migrant agricultural workers. Growers must verify that a farm labor contractor is licensed before using the contractor's services.

Licensing Requirements:

  • Completion of application form (Word document, 68KB, download Word viewer for free).
  • $25 application fee.
  • Two recent passport-size color photographs of the applicant.
  • U.S. Department of Labor registration as a farm labor contractor, with authorization to drive and transport migrant agricultural workers (if applicable).
  • Proof of workers' compensation insurance.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance issued by a Maryland-authorized company for each vehicle to be used to transport migrant agricultural workers in Maryland.

Licensing Fee: $25 per year. Licensing year begins March 1.Read the Law: MD Code Labor & Employment §7–101

Escape Now Button: 

Is this legal advice?

This site offers legal information, not legal advice.  We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options.  However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney.  The Maryland State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site.  In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – © Maryland State Law Library, 2015.”

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.