The school must write the name of your offense, like “disrespect” or “possession of a cell phone”. Your school handbook should say what the offense, like “disrespect” means.
Make sure the school is disciplining you correctly. If the handbook or school policy says “disrespect” is only punishable with suspension, make sure the school does not try to expel you.
What can I be expelled or suspended for?
Each county has different rules. You should check your school handbook or school policies.
Schools discipline students for many reasons. Here are some reasons students are suspended or expelled:
- Harassing or bullying another student
- Sexual offenses or assault
- Possession of matches or lighters
- Weapons including possession of look-alike weapons and many knives including box cutters
- Pulling a fire alarm
- Drugs or Alcohol
- Cell phones
- Cheating (academic dishonesty)
- Skipping School
- Destroying Property
- Computer Misuse